These chutney sandwiches are a huge success in our family. They’re easy-to-make and a delicious option for pot-lucks. Chutney is a traditional Indian condiment that has a cilantro base with spices added to it. Depending on what region of India you’re in, you’ll come across a variety of variations.
With these sliders, you combine the chutney with something smooth like mayo or if you’d like to have a healthier option, yogurt and/or avocado. This creates a creamy cilantro sauce (In my opinion, the yogurt version tastes just as delicious as the mayonnaise one).
In this recipe, I mixed avocado and Greek yogurt. However, you can easily make the recipe by omitting the avocado and adding more yogurt, depending on how much chutney flavor you’d like. You can also add cucumbers with the onions to give it a crunchy texture. The Hawaiian bread dinner rolls give the sandwiches a pleasant sweetness to a savory dish. But you can always use your choice of bread.
Make these the night before an event or during a lazy Sunday. They’re the perfect snack for any time of the day!
Chutney Sandwich Recipe
- 1 bunch Cilantro (approximately 2 ounces)
- 1 medium-sized Garlic cloves
- ½ green Serrano pepper (or your pepper of choice; to your taste)
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon lemon
- Salt (to taste; I used approximately half a teaspoon)
- ¼ cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- ½ avocado
- ¼ of a medium-sized onion, finely chopped (or more or less depending your liking)
- 1 twelve pack of the King’s Hawaiian Dinner Rolls (Found at any local grocery store)
- 1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese (or your choice of cheese)
- Start by blending the cilantro, garlic cloves, green pepper, water, lemon, and salt. Blend until the consistency is thin. This is the chutney.
- Add avocado and yogurt to the chutney, and blend until it’s a creamy consistency (if you think the chutney taste is too strong, then feel free to add in a tablespoon of yogurt until you achieve your desired taste).
- Mix in chopped onion to the chutney, avocado, and yogurt mixture.
- Slice the Hawaiian Bread rolls in halves, horizontally.
- Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of the chutney mixture to one side of the bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over the spread chutney. If you choose to use sliced cheese cut up 1 slice into fours. Add as much cheese as you’d like!
- Then, top the cheese with the top bun.
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge, if you’re preparing it in advance!
- Pro Tip: If you have left over chutney mixture, spread it over the top parts of the buns for some extra flavor. If not, then you can refrigerate (or freeze) and use at another time. If frozen, then transfer to a refrigerator the day before you are using it to thaw out.
Please comment below and share your thoughts!